Monday 14 April 2014

Higher Education


A lot of you know that I have home schooled all of my kids over the years.  As they have been leaving the nest I have gotten involved in other children's education from tutoring, to long term substitution, to home schooling other people's children, and then I became a Educational Therapist with NILD.
Since I am living in a country that lacks a lot in special education, I found myself in "over my head" a lot of the times. NILD is designed to work with children that have Learning Disabilities.  My students can have anything from a Learning Difference to Intellectual Disabilities.

So this year have I started on a new adventure and I am attempting to get my Master of Arts in Teaching with a Special Education emphasis.  I am actually working on it through Liberty University Online. As a result of this venture I have been able to get involved in the Kinshasa Christian School (KCS) by volunteering weekly.  Along with this I was able to get out and see Village Bandeko, one place in this city that is working with students that have disabilities.
At Village Bandeko I was very impressed with their work.  The students in the kindergarten level were learning math and were learning both to sign and to speak with their voice as well as read lips.  The school is not for just the deaf but the majority of the students tend to be deaf.

 When I visited the secondary students at Village Bandeko they were able to communicate rather well.  The students could understand my Lingala and they communicated with their teacher in French, all by reading lips.  I asked if they used the French Sign Language and they said, "No, we have a Congolese Sign Language."
The female students in secondary school were learning to sew. The male students were learning art.
Congo gets a bad name at times for their treatment of the disabled but I have to say that Village Bandeko is a great example to all of how we can seek for these students to reach their God given abilities.  I would like to see more options in vocations and careers and less segregation in occupations for genders but Village Bandeko has given a great start to these students.
 
My weekly volunteering at KCS has led me to be a part of this great school that is in its beginning stages. I have been working with students both in the elementary and the secondary school.  It has been rewarding and I am excited to what God is going to do with this school. 
The students are all loved and accepted and are growing academically and in character. 
 
 As you can see, one of my prior students is growing up and enjoying some great friendships at KCS.  Their teacher, Mr. Yves has been challenging them in their academics.
This past weekend, Kinshasa Christian School had their first benefit concert.  It was great to see how these students have been developing their talents in music.  Some danced, all played instruments and sang.  Of course in the end, they gave a big splash in the pool.
I am not sure where God is going to lead me from here but I am enjoying the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment